Legal Requirements

All of my ceremonies comply with the Australian legal standards which are set out by the Attorney Generals Department.

When marrying in Australia, there are certain requirements you must fulfill which are explained below.

You can also visit the Attorney General Department web site for further details at

Before you may marry, the law requires that you sign and lodge with me the ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ form. This form must be submitted to me a minimum of one calendar month and a maximum of 18 months prior to the wedding date. You can submit your Notice in person, via fax or mail, but you must bring the original Notice with you when you meet with me. The NOIM form will remain active for 18 calendar months from the date of submission. You can download the form below for your convenience.

  • Download ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ form
  • You must be over 18 years of age to marry in Australia.
  • If you are Australian born you must show your birth certificate in English. If born outside Australia you are required to show your birth certificate or passport from your country of birth.
  • You are also required to provide one form of photo ID. This can be a drivers license or passport.
  • If either of you have previously been married you will have to produce your Divorce Decree Absolute papers and/or if either of your spouses are deceased, you must produce the Death Certificate
  • On the day of your marriage you must have two witnesses over the age of 18.

Documents you will need if you are coming from overseas

  • If you are born overseas you will need an Overseas passport or a birth certificate translated in English (an Australian passport is not acceptable).
  • If you have been married before you will need decree absolute (final divorce papers) or a death certificate In English.
  • All of these papers must be bought with you on your arrival to Australia for sighting by me. Please note that you cannot be married in Australia unless you have these original papers with you.
  • You must complete a ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ which you can download from here or obtain from the Australian High Commission, Embassy or the Australian Foreign Affairs Department in your country. The back of the Form will tell you who can witness the form for you. You need to get the form witnessed at the Australian Embassy or Consulate in your country or by a Notary Public. This form must then be lodged with me no later than one calendar month and one day prior to the wedding by email/fax. I will arrange all of the Legal Paper work necessary for you to be married here.
  • You will be given a presentation marriage certificate on your wedding day. You will need to obtain a stamped registered copy of your full legal marriage certificate from the registry office before leaving Australia. I can give you the necessary papers to do this.
  • If you are from a European or Asian Country, you do need to have an Apostle Stamp on your certificate making your marriage legal in your country. Please check if this is necessary with your own Consulate before leaving the country. Again I can assist you with details on how to obtain this. This stamp can not be obtained in your country. This is necessary in making your marriage legal anywhere in the world. This must be done before you leave Australia.